About e-Learning in ESR
The National Learning Management System (NLMS) project was initiated to define the requirements and deliver a national NHS eLearning system. The development of the system is a joint initiative between the Electronic Staff Record Programme (ESR), the Department of Health, NHS Connecting for Health, Skills for Health - Core Learning Unit and eLearning for Healthcare.
Following a detailed requirements and options analysis phase, the project selected Oracle Learning Management (OLM) as the system to deliver eLearning through ESR and is the Department of Health’s preferred system for NHS organisations to deliver national and local content to their employees.
Using OLM to deliver national eLearning means that the NLMS project is integral to the ESR workforce solution and also encompasses wider work with regards to the cataloguing and subsequent publication of national content.
Using the eLearning functionality in OLM is a way for all NHS employees with a staff record on ESR to access free of charge eLearning courses written for the NHS. The functionality is fully integrated into the ESR solution and enables:
- Delivery of national eLearning content to all employees with a staff record on ESR, free of charge;
- Delivery of locally developed eLearning courses;
- Training teams to manage eLearning course delivery in addition to traditional face to face training, through one single point of access, providing a fully blended approach to learning;
- Remote access for employees to national and local eLearning courses, creating a flexible way of learning to suit individual learners;
- Tracking of users’ progress through each course and the ability to record results of tests and other data in ESR against the portable employee record;
- A consistent approach and delivery mechanism for local and national eLearning content across the NHS.
The focus for the project throughout 2012 was to support organisations already engaged to increase the uptake of e-Learning courses delivered through OLM. New organisations interested in implementing the functionality will also be fully supported. This will continue throughout 2013.
The primary focus of all partners in the NLMS Project is to utilise the eLearning functionality within an already established system to fully embed a culture of eLearning within the NHS.